The camp was extended and eventually housed 4500 men, women and children.
It was closed in 1903, a year after the declaration of peace.
It is alleged that more than 2000 people were buried in the cemetery, although the list of names only contain some 1149 names. A name plaque with the figure of 2156 was later found. Only 800 heaps of soil, indicating graves, could be found.
The 80 memorial stones in the cemetery contain all the names on the list of names.